A developer has launched an appeal to the Scottish Government in a bid overturn Aberdeenshire Council’s decision to reject its plans for almost 250 new homes.

Barratt North Scotland had proposed to deliver 247 homes on Fordoun Road in Laurencekirk.

However councillors on the council’s Kincardine and Mearns area committee voted against the plans in October citing concerns of housing density and the layout of roads for the plan at Fordoun Road.

The councillors also said the development would have a detrimental impact on the town’s open space, as well as failing to comply with the approved masterplan for the area.

Now Barratt has urged Holyrood’s planning and environment appeals division to overturn the refusal.

Chris Ross, development director at Barratt North Scotland, said: “We were disappointed by the decision from the Kincardine and Mearns area committee last year, but remain hopeful for the appeal to deliver 247 new homes in the area.

“This project would offer a mix of properties including affordable housing for the local community.”

Planning documents lodged with the Scottish Government said 62 affordable units would be built. These include a mixture of flats and houses.

Aberdeenshire Council now has until March 6 to give a response to the Scottish Government regarding the appeal.

A letter from the government to Halliday Fraser Munro, the agents for Barratt North Scotland, said: “Aberdeenshire Council, the planning authority that dealt with your original application, now has 21 days to give us a response to your appeal, along with any relevant documents or information.

“You will receive a copy of this response and then have 14 days to respond.”

A spokesman for Aberdeenshire Council said: “We note the appeal and will await the outcome.”