Another 87 former workers have lost their jobs at collapsed construction giant Carillion, taking the total so far to almost 1,460.

A spokesperson for the Official Receiver, which is the body handling the construction and services firm’s liquidation, said on Monday that a further 150 employees had now been transferred to suppliers that had picked up contracts previously held by Carillion.

That means that 8,216 employees, 45% of the pre-liquidation workforce, have now been given “secure ongoing employment” since the company was placed into liquidation in January.

However the latest round of redundancies means that a total of 1,458 individuals have now lost their jobs as a result of the firm’s failure.

A spokesperson for the Official Receiver said: “A further 150 employees will transfer to new suppliers who have picked up contracts that Carillion had been delivering. Close to half (45%) of the pre-liquidation workforce have now been found secure ongoing employment.

“Regrettably we have been unable to find ongoing employment for a further 87 employees who will leave the business later this week. Jobcentre Plus’ RapidResponse Service will provide them with every support to find new work and they are also entitled to make a claim for statutory redundancy payments.

“Discussions with potential purchasers continue. I am continuing to engage with staff, elected employee representatives and unions to keep them informed as these arrangements are confirmed.”