The well-known mantra, ‘there’s an app for that’, now applies to tradespeople with even the most hands-on jobs.
IronmongeryDirect has created an infographic of the 28 most useful construction apps for iOS and Android, to put job-revolutionising tech in the pockets of those who need it.
This surge in construction app creation implies a definite shift in attitude in the industry, backed up by the recent release of PwC’s Industry 4.0, which shows the need for cloud computing, technology, 3D printing and smart tech is being increasingly valued among tradespeople. But not all construction workers and tradespeople are up to date with the latest technology, and many still resort to ‘traditional’ methods of working.
According to Designing Buildings, the construction industry is one of the least efficient industries worldwide with some estimates showing a staggering 50-80% of time is wasted on the construction site.
However, app technology is set to bring about change:
- Co-Construct: Project management app that claims to save workers at least 30 minutes a day
- Joist app for contractors: Claims to help workers win more jobs, eradicating the need to do paperwork at evenings and weekends
- Construction Master Pro: Advanced calculator app that claims to reduce costly errors on the worksite
- TSheets: App to replace paper timesheets making payroll and invoicing faster and less costly
- Fulcrum: Information capture app claims to decrease costs and risks of paper storage, effectively replacing ‘the clipboard’
Wayne Lysaght-Mason, managing director of IronmongeryDirect, said: “With most people working in the construction sector now owning a smartphone, the apps we have researched have the potential to save considerable time and money. From builders, carpenters and electricians to project managers and employers, their smartphone can become their best tool with a range of powerful apps to help improve day-to-day efficiency both on site and in the office.”