hub South West, the construction and infrastructure-focused partnership which works with local authorities and private sector enterprises in Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway, has completed work on a £24 million project in Dumfries & Galloway.
The re-development and modernisation of St Joseph’s College – established by the Marist Brothers in 1875 – is the first project to be completed as part of phase 1 of the Dumfries Learning Town initiative.
The main contractor was Graham Construction, and the architect was CRG Architects, with support from landscape architects SWP.
Work was commenced on the Grade B-Listed historic stone building in August 2016 and has been completed on time and on budget.
Development and refurbishment resulted in an 8,000 sq. m. facility which can accommodate 644 secondary school students and 72 staff.
During construction, the central building was extensively redeveloped with the north-west glazed extension having been demolished to make way for a state of the art sports hall and hospitality teaching area.
A 1980’s era extension on the Craig’s Road side of the building was redeveloped to include new kitchen and dining facilities.
Pupils and staff will return to the ‘new’ school on 19 April – an extra four days of Easter holiday – to complete their move.