CMS Window Systems hits ‘zero landfill’ milestone for second consecutive year
CMS Window Systems has maintained a zero waste to landfill rate for the second year in a row, ensuring it continues to lead the way in the re-use and recycling of waste collected throughout its manufacturing and installation operations.
The designer, manufacturer and installer of PVC-U and aluminium windows, doors and curtain walling pioneered the concept of closed-loop windows and doors more than 13 years ago by establishing comprehensive in-house waste recycling facilities alongside its manufacturing operations.
This ensures all its waste materials can be fed back into the manufacture of new products with ease in line with the key sustainability goal of creating a circular economy.
In the latest 2018-19 reporting period, CMS’s recycling facilities received 2,806 tonnes of post-use windows and doors – timber, PVC-U and aluminium frames – which were dismantled and separated ready for collection, along with its manufacturing waste, by specialist recyclers. So effective are these processes, that CMS is now sending 97% of its waste away for recycling and the remaining 3% is going for use in refuse-derived fuel (RDF) and waste-to-energy (WTE) facilities.
Where possible, recycled materials become part of new windows and doors fabricated by CMS. In the case of its glazing, a partnership with Saint-Gobain Glass enables new double glazed units to contain 38% of post-use recycled glass – an industry leading level.
The two-year zero landfill milestone comes as CMS is named as a finalist for a prestigious environment business award. In making the shortlist for a Best of VIBES Award, CMS is one of the select few Scottish businesses to be recognised for their long term record on environmental sustainability, which includes the efficient use of resources and supporting the wider goals of sustainable social and economic development.
David Ritchie, CEO at CMS Window Systems, said: “We are delighted to be setting the standard for environmental sustainability in our industry, and waste minimisation and avoiding landfill has always been a key part of our strategy. By achieving a zero waste to landfill rate for a second consecutive year, we have demonstrated that hitting our target last year was not simply a one-off and that our processes and systems are robust and effective for the long term.”