Council approves sale of former Govan school site to Elderpark Housing Association
Elderpark Housing Association is to transform a former Govan school into new offices after the sale of the site was approved by Glasgow City Council.
The local authority’s executive committee gave the green light to the £283,743 sale of the former Hill’s Trust School in Govan from City Property (Glasgow) LLP.
Built in 1870 and now a B Listed building, the former school will be refurbished to form an office for the Association in a project to be overseen by Mast Architects.
The project will complement the £12 million residential redevelopment on neighbouring sites being carried out by Elderpark.
The detached two-storey building, occupying a 0.25 hectare site at Golpsie Street / Langlands Road in Govan, had previously been converted for use as a business centre but is currently vacant.
Councillor George Redmond, executive member for jobs, business and investment at Glasgow City Council, said: “The sale of this building brings a number of benefits to Govan and indeed the whole city, with new offices in a listed building; a new and sustainable use for a building that had lain vacant; and help deliver the next stage in a regeneration project that will bring new jobs and services to the local community.”
The board of City Property had approved the sale of the building to Elderpark Housing Association on 19 November 2015, and this was then referred to the council’s Executive Committee for final approval as is it is a Category 2 property.