Greenock landmark goes under the hammer

A 7.12 acres (2.88 hectares) site in the West End of Greenock is set to change hands as a buyer is sought for former care home Sir Gabriel Wood’s Mariners’ Home and accompanying Mariners’ Court.

Greenock landmark goes under the hammer

Marketed by Colliers and Savills, the site could be sold for use as a care home or development opportunity, such as residential or hotel/leisure.

Incorporating an impressive Grade A Listed building of historical importance, the 43-bed care home closed earlier this year. The adjoining Mariners’ Court, which was built in the 1990s, features 30 retirement flats.

Mariners’ Home had been operated as a care home for ex-mariners and seamen since it was founded in 1850 by Sir Gabriel Wood, a Commissary General born in Gourock in 1767. He travelled the world and held senior posts in North America during the Napoleonic Wars.

His family later moved to Greenock and following his death in 1845, his widow and sister, Lady Louisa Augusta Wood and Miss Francis Ann Wood, carried out his dying wish to found a care facility for aged master mariners and merchant seamen within his native town. The building was designed by architect, Robert Macintosh of Exeter and it is now recognised as one Greenock’s finest buildings.

Share icon
Share this article: