Millport Flood Protection Scheme given final confirmation

Ambitious proposals for a £27.5 million flood protection scheme for Millport are another step closer to fruition.

North Ayrshire Council’s cabinet has given its approval to move to ‘final confirmation’ stage of the scheme, allowing work to progress on the final design and preparation of tender documents for the construction stage.

The flood protection scheme aims to create an offshore breakwater connecting the small islands in Millport Bay, in addition to onshore flood walls and other protection along the Millport shoreline, reducing the risk of flooding to vulnerable properties in the town.

It will include the creation of a 120m long rock armour breakwater connecting The Leug and The Spoig islands and a 210m long rock armour breakwater between The Spoig and the southern Eilean. The blueprint also includes onshore flood walls and drainage improvements to minimise residual flood risks.

Not only is the scheme aimed at protecting properties from flooding, but a major element of the design aims to enhance access along the Millport seafront for both pedestrians and cyclists, as well as making a positive contribution to public realm.

Councillor Jim Montgomerie, cabinet member for Green New Deal & sustainability, said: “This is another important milestone for the Millport Flood Protection Scheme and I’m delighted we have reached this stage. 

“The community has been fully involved throughout the process and their input has been invaluable.”

Extensive community engagement has allowed local residents to help shape the proposals which have gathered strong community support.

The estimated cost of the scheme is £27.5m, with 80% of the funding coming from the Scottish Government and the remaining 20% funded by North Ayrshire Council.

Construction is currently expected to get under way in 2022 and is likely to take approximately two years to complete.

Share icon
Share this article: