North Scotland sector shines at annual awards ceremony
Outstanding individuals and businesses from across the North Scotland construction industry were recognised for their achievements at the virtual Trades Awards ceremony on October 8.
The ceremony was streamed live from the M&G TV + Stream Television studio at Mearns & Gill in Aberdeen, to over 50 separate parties across the North East, with one finalist joining from Vancouver. Finalists and sponsors embraced the digital format, and stuck to the black-tie dress code, despite partying in separate living rooms, board rooms, and function rooms. Thirteen awards were handed out in total, with categories for individuals who have gone above and beyond, as well as overall business achievements.
The Trades Awards continue to be well supported by the local construction industry, with the Stewart Milne Group returning as the main sponsor for the seventh year in a row, and WM Donald joining as a supporting sponsor. The evening was hosted by Pauline Fraser and Chris Harvey from STV, who worked seamlessly together throughout the live production to ensure the event was as entertaining and fun as live television, and all finalists received the red-carpet treatment.
Jim Young, a chartered civil engineer who recently retired from his role as construction director within CHAP Group, picked up the award for Outstanding Contribution after 43 years of service to the construction industry. Most recently, Jim also sat on the Construction Scotland COVID Action and Recovery working group in 2020.
Neil Thomson, deputy managing director of Stewart Milne Homes Scotland, said: “Stewart Milne Group is extremely proud to have sponsored these awards for a seventh year. The past 18 months have been extremely challenging for us all, but we have learned to be even more resilient, adaptable, flexible, and innovative, and this year’s finalists and winners are testament to that.
“There has never been a better time to work in construction, and my hope is that this year’s worthy winners will inspire others to consider this exciting, rewarding career path. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all of this year’s winners and wish them the very best of luck with the future. The construction industry is in very safe hands.”
Elaine Donald, director, WM Donald, said: “We are proud to have been a supporting sponsor for the first time this year alongside the Stewart Milne Group. It is so important for us to recognise and nurture future talent in our industry, such as apprentices and young trades people. The evening truly celebrates the hard work and effort everyone puts in day in and day out to grow the construction industry and make positive change.”
Mike Wilson, managing director of Mearns & Gill, said: “We are grateful to every individual and business who supported the Trades Awards this year. Thank you to our sponsors for showing support in a year with so many unknowns, thank you to our judges who gave up so much of their time, and thank you to every finalist who made time in their hectic schedule to take that leap of faith and fill out an application form.
“Friday’s virtual award ceremony was a very special, human occasion, possibly because our finalists and winners were surrounded by friends and family in their own surroundings. Whilst we are very excited that next year’s ceremony will be face to face, the challenge for our team will be to replicate those special elements for what will be the tenth anniversary of the Trades Awards.”
The winners of Trades Awards 2021 are below:
- Best New Business, sponsored by Diversity Energy Solutions - M2 Safety Consultants
- Excellence in Health & Safety, sponsored by Safety Scotland - Nicol of Skene
- Sustainability In Construction, sponsored by Carbon-Zero - WM Donald
- Home Building Improvement, sponsored by Flexistore - Liberty
- Outstanding Customer Service, sponsored by Barratt Homes and David Wilson Homes - K R Group
- Apprentice of the Year, sponsored by James Gibb - Khai Cameron, K R Group
- Rising Star, sponsored by Glulam Solutions - Gemma Kelly, KelDecor
- Tradesperson of the Year, sponsored by TradesAdvisor - Steven Heenan, Stewart Milne Homes
- Site Manager of the Year, sponsored by CALA Homes - Graham Bias, W M Donald
- Best Small Trades Business, sponsored by K R Group - Safety Scotland
- Best Large Trades Business, sponsored by PMC Property Management & Lettings - Goldstar
- Construction Project of the Year, sponsored by STV - Riverside Quarter, Barratt Homes
- Outstanding Contribution, sponsored by Stewart Milne Group - Jim Young