Perth stonemasonry firm fined after worker electrocuted

HSEA Perth-based stonemasonry company has been fined after an apprentice was electrocuted by an overhead power line.

T&M Stonemasonry, of Highfield Road, Scone, Perth, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It was fined £16,000.

Perth Sheriff Court heard how Rodd McFarlane, 20, was carrying out repairs at Waulkmill Cottage in Perth on 02 August 2012.

During his work, he erected a tower scaffold to carry out some re-pointing work.

However, while on the scaffold he came into contact with overhead 240volt electricity power lines supplying power to the cottage. Wind conditions caused the power line to brush against his back, causing Mr McFarlane to turn around instinctively and grab the live wire.

The flow of the current meant he was unable to let go for a few seconds until he jumped down from the scaffold and broke the wire, interrupting the current’s flow.

He suffered serious burns to both hands which required graft surgery and a possible future amputation of a little finger.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that the stone masonry company should have developed a safe system of work.

Share icon
Share this article: