Taylor and Fraser hails role on Royal College of Physicians revamp
Construction and engineering contractor Taylor and Fraser has completed its redevelopment of the Physicians International Conference Centre at the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (RCPE).
The project was officially opened by HRH The Princess Royal at the start of the month.
As the principal contractor for the project, Taylor and Fraser worked on the building from October 2017 to October 2018.
Its work on the project delivered:
- A fully accessible entrance through No. 11 Queen Street via a platform lift.
- A modern reception area linking to multiple levels in the College via a bespoke lift.
- A dedicated public exhibition space to showcase historic medical and other collections with improved access for the public.
- Specialist acoustic feature ceiling and environmental improvements to enhance the comfort of delegates within the conference centre auditorium.
- An enhanced conference centre foyer and facilities to deliver world-class conferences in Edinburgh.
The £3.5 million project transforms the event experience for delegates and visitors of the Royal College of Physicians, turning it into one of the city’s newest and largest conference venues, with a 300 seat capacity.
A new public exhibition space was also created to showcase the College’s historic collections. The redevelopment work has improved access to the buildings and enhanced the facilities for all who use the space.
Regarding the official opening, College president Professor Derek Bell OBE said: “It is an honour to welcome HRH The Princess Royal to our wonderful, refurbished conference centre. We are particularly proud of our new facility – refurbishing any building is a complex task, but more so when the buildings in question are nearly 300 years old.
“As an Honorary Fellow of the College, it is very fitting that Her Royal Highness should open what is a new chapter in the long and illustrious history of this great Edinburgh institution.”