Student accommodation bid for site of fire-hit Dundee property

Student accommodation bid for site of fire-hit Dundee property

The Robertson’s building before the fire

The site of the former Robertson’s store in Dundee is the subject of new student accommodation proposals.

The iconic furniture shop in Willison House on Barrack Street was demolished following a devastating fire in November.

Edinburgh-based KR Developments held public consultation events after it lodged a Proposal of Application Notice (PAN) to Dundee City Council.

The redevelopment is expected to comprise 427 student bedrooms. It will also boast lounges, study areas and a gym, as well as a reception.

Accommodation will consist of en-suite studios and a mix of en-suite bedroom apartments.

Green spaces will include ground-level courtyards as well as a grass-covered roof, which will form part of the overall sustainable drainage design. Cycle storage will also be included.

Developers say that because the site is located in the city centre, the building will be a car-free development.

Neil Galloway, development director at KR Developments, was at the exhibition to hear the public’s views on the proposals.

He said the firm is aiming to submit its planning application to Dundee City Council in October – and if given the green light, the accommodation could open in autumn 2026.

KR Developments was planning to develop the building before the fire.

The firm had originally submitted a PAN (proposal of application notice) at the beginning of last year to examine the redevelopment of the building, including retaining its listed façade.

Mr Galloway said: “We had to go right back to the drawing board after the fire. It has caused a six-month delay.

“We had spent a six-figure sum on developing plans last year.”

Willison House was built in the 1930s, with Robertson’s furniture store opening in the building at 56 Barrack Street the same decade.

Robertson’s closed in 2011 and the building remained empty.

Six children, all aged between 12 and 13, were previously charged in connection with the fire.

Share icon
Share this article: