Architects’ Showcase: Ka Pao Restaurant by Mosaic Architecture + Design
In the run up to the Scottish Property Awards on March 25, SCN will highlight shortlisted entries in the two Architectural Excellence Award categories in its new Architects’ Showcase feature.
Architectural Excellence Award (Commercial Use)
Ka Pao Restaurant, Glasgow; Mosaic Architecture + Design
The former Arnold Clark Garage was and is a beautiful listed building and the insertion of Ka Pao has blended effortlessly well with the industrial aesthetic of the of the original interior.
The new design is an industrial aesthetic mix of white-washed concrete soffits, galvanized steel services, poured cement floors softened with live planting, reclaimed furniture, decorative and intelligent lighting contrast with bold pops of colour, earthy hand fired and glazed tiles, creating a vibrant colourful and richly illuminated interior that has both a juxtapose and always-been there relationship with the building.
This new restaurant has brought to life an A-listed building that was nearly demolished, but now is now very much part of a building’s future.
The full shortlist includes:
- Clydesdale Community Hub, South Lanarkshire; Grant Murray Architects
- Ka Pao Restaurant, Glasgow; Mosaic Architecture & Design
- Rutherglen Links Office Pavilions, Glasgow; Keppie Design
The finalists in the Architectural Excellence Award (Public Use) category are as follows:
- Elgin and Appin Ward (Stobhill Mental Health Estate), Glasgow; Keppie Design, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde and hub West Scotland
- Forth Valley College, Falkirk Campus; Reiach and Hall Architects
- Gairloch Museum; LDN Architects & Simpson Builders
- Inverurie Community Campus; Halliday Fraser Munro
- The Inverness Justice Centre; Reiach and Hall Architects
- Tullibody South Campus, Alloa; Keppie Design
To be included in our Architects’ Showcase, simply submit up to 350 words describing your latest project, it’s interesting and innovative features and any challenging or distinctive features to firstname.lastname@example.org.