Detailed plans lodged for 683-home Edinburgh Meadowbank project
Plans for a residential development on surplus land around the new Meadowbank Sports Centre have been submitted by the City of Edinburgh Council and its development partners Graham and Miller Homes.
About this development:
- Authority:Edinburgh City
- Type:Residential, Commercial
Set to deliver 683 homes, the site at 139 London Road will include 240 affordable homes, 259 build to rent properties and 184 for private sale.
The design proposal has been developed by EMA Architecture + Design over the last six years including a comprehensive public and stakeholder engagement process positively influencing the design process.
The site was formerly occupied by the multi-purpose Meadowbank sports complex, including a stadium, running track, velodrome, grass and synthetic pitches, and indoor sports and leisure facilities. The new Edinburgh Meadowbank Sports Centre recently completed and opened to the public on 19th July 2022.
The large site has been split into three main areas.
Site A is located to the immediate west and north of the sports centre ground. It will be built out with five affordable housing blocks ranging between 5 and 6 storey in height.
Site B is located to the east of the sports centre ground. It will be the largest section of site containing two affordable blocks ranging between 3 and 6 storeys.
A further eight blocks rising 2-6 storeys will contain a mix of flats and townhouses.
Site C will consist of one large build to rent block of flats rising to 5 – 7 storeys. At ground level, there will be space for doctors, dentists, accountants or estate agents.
Assuming planning approval work could get underway on the project before the end of this year
The full project team includes:
- Client/applicant: The City of Edinburgh Council (development & regeneration) / GRAHAM Investment Projects / Miller Homes East Limited / Panacea Property Development / Places for People
- Contractor: GRAHAM Construction / Miller Homes East Limited
- Agent/planning consultant: Manson Architects + Planners
- Architect/masterplanner: EMA Architecture + Design
- BTR architect: Leach Rhodes Walker
- Civil/structural engineer: Etive Consulting Engineers
- Services engineer: Cundall
- Landscape consultant: Ironside Farrar
- Sustainability/energy consultant: Cundall.